From Italy to Youngstown
On September 3, 1957, Luigi and Mary Grace Scarsella took over Al's Grill at the corner of Market and Pyatt Streets. Hard work and dedication turned the small venture into one of the finest family traditions in Northeast Ohio!
During those early years the days started early with breakfast at 7:30 a.m. Remember the delicious bacon and eggs, the French toast, and of course... Poulakos donuts and fresh, drip coffee? Later in the day, the truly Italian foods were served; Spaghetti and meatballs, homemade pizza and pies, pasta, fagipoli, wedding soup, minestrone homemade pastas, cavatelli and so much more. The days were long, often lasting until 10 or 11 p.m.- or until the customers stopped coming to the door. The restaurant was small and cozy with four booths, a dozen counter stools and a single table that seated three.